I have gotten some questions lately about the best way to choose a project for an evolution. Some of you are interested in how best to use a gradient in general, and I will cover that in another article coming soon. The most pressing issue at the moment is that you have a sizable Twisted Stash, are ready to choose a project, and are having a hard time making a decision. Ravelry to the rescue!
There are a few different ways to use the advanced search functionality on Ravelry to narrow down the field. My favorite way is to use the “Recently Shared Projects” box on the main page of our group. Go to https://www.ravelry.com/groups/twisted (you must be signed into your account for this link to work) and join our group if you have not already done so. Then, click on the “view all projects” link at the bottom of the box.
This will bring up pages and pages of projects that have been shared with our group by its members over the years. Most of them have a number of photos, and progress notes that can be very helpful. Now it is time to employ that advanced search option to narrow the field a bit.
So here is the question: I have a Tasty Large Evolution in my stash. What can I make with it?
- Once you are on the view all projects page select the red advanced search button at the top of the page.
- Type “Tasty” (in quotation marks) into the search bar.
- Now you should have pages and pages of projects created using our Tasty base. This might be enough for some of you. I like to get a little more detailed. If you are like me continue as follows…
- I am a knitter, so the very next option I chose is always in the Craft field.
- Select Knitting or Crochet – whichever is your preference.
- Next, I am a visual person, so in the Has Photo field I generally select yes.
- Now, I know that my cake of yarn is a size large and that it has about 510 yards on it. How do I know this? It’s on the yarn band. Take a peek, there is a lot of info packed onto that little paper band.
- In the Yardage field I select the 450 – 600 yards option. It is not exact, but it gets me in the ballpark!
- Finally, I know that I am in the market for a shawl so in the Pattern Category field I select
- Accessories, then Neck/Torso, then Shawl/Wrap
- I now have the search narrowed down to 5 pages of projects that I can browse through quickly to help me decide what in the world I’m going to make!
Hint: Remember that only projects that have been shared with our group are found using this search. You can widen that result by doing a similar search of all projects on Ravelry, not just those in our group.
- Click on the Projects tab in the bar at the top of the page.
- Type “Twisted Fiber Art” “Tasty” (both in quotation marks) into the search bar.
- This will bring up ALL projects that listed our Tasty base when they created their projects.
- Now select the same fields as listed above Craft, Photo, Yardage, and Pattern Category